Values and objects

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat May 10 21:59:21 EDT 2014

On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 11:28 AM, Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:
> Well, with function variables they have to exist *when you use them*. ;)
>
> This seems like more of a scoping issue than a "can we create variables in
> Python" issue.
>
> I am curious, though, what other python's do with respect to function
> variables.

Variables exist in scope. Apart from assembly language, where
registers have universal scope, every language I know of has some
concept of scope. (REXX is very different from most, in that
"PROCEDURE EXPOSE" isn't at all your classic notion of scoping, but
there's still the concept that there can be two variables with the
same name.) When you create one, you create it in a particular scope,
and that's how it must be.

ChrisA