Python Internet Database

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Fri May 9 17:30:57 EDT 2014

On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 2:45 PM,  <junnia at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1 - Internet servers. In Lisp, one has hunchentoot. In Racket, one has the Racket Web Framework. Bigloo has hiphop.

twisted, tornado, Django, pylons, turbogears, bottle, flask among many others.

> 2 - Jit compiler for using from a web server. I mean, one has a web server running under Apache in a hosting service like Hostgator, Daddy Host or another inexpensive service. I decide to run a few applications in Racket, but the application  requires number crunching. I install the Jit Racket in the hosting service, and call it from my dynamic generated page. My programs will run almost at the speed of optimised C.

PyPy is an alternate implementation of Python written in Python with
JIT compilation.  It is compatible with various web frameworks.
You'll find it at pypy.org.

> 4 - Text editor that mimics emacs. In Common Lisp, one has hemlock. I would like something in the lines of hemlock.

Why not just use emacs?  It has a python mode.

> 7 - Image generation. pdf generation. Something in the lines of cl-pdf and cl-png, fl-vector, etc. Of course, I need programs written in Python itself, not call to C libraries.

The pillow library (successor to the defunct Python Imaging Library)
is probably the best known.  It's not a C library, but it is an
extension library, meaning it is a Python library written in C.

> 9 - Computer algebra. Something in the lines of Maxima will do.

Try SymPy.