The "does Python have variables?" debate

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Fri May 9 10:09:07 EDT 2014

On Friday, May 9, 2014 11:21:37 AM UTC+5:30, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 3:40 PM, Rustom Mody wrote:
>
> >> I'd like to argue that you're not using Fortran, then. You're making
> >> use of it in the same way that I might make use of Ruby, PHP, and Perl
> >> when I browse the web
> >
> > Yes one can argue so
> > But one can also argue that this is a 1990s viewpoint
> > http://oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/tim/articles/paradigmshift_0504.html
>

> Okay, so at what point do you stop using Fortran?

Yes thats the point -- its a real valued spectrum, not a yes/no. eg.

You write an app with Tkinter. Are you not using Tcl/Tk?

You said earlier to Mark that the relation between python and C variables is irrelevant.  Lets take that as true.  Will it continue to be irrelevant when
you need to write an extension in C?