trailing underscores naming convention_

Metallicow metaliobovinus at gmail.com
Fri May 9 06:22:56 EDT 2014

On Friday, May 9, 2014 3:10:26 AM UTC-6, Peter Otten wrote:
> Metallicow wrote:
>
> > I guess to be more clear here is a small code snippet that shows what is
> > happening more readably. Hence the underscores question.
>
> Working with multiple names with small differences is error-prone.
> You should give a method a name that describes what it does rather than when
> it's invoked:
>
> > class MainAuiManager(aui.AuiManager):
> >     def __init__(self, managed_window=None, agwFlags=0)
> >         aui.AuiManager.__init__(self, managed_window, agwFlags)
>
>           self.Bind(wx.EVT_LEFT_DCLICK, self.EatMagicMushroom)
>           self.Bind(wx.EVT_LEFT_DCLICK, self.KillBlueMonster)
>           self.Bind(wx.EVT_LEFT_DCLICK, self.SingDitty)

While readabily counts, in this case it is pretty readable already.
Actions speak loader than words. In this case action(as with QT) is an event(in wxPython).
My actual code would only(realisticly or sanely) extend this event once per subclass if at all...
...Unless there happens to be some crazy need for more(multiple) event methods
to fire off when 1 event happens. Especially for a class bound intended for a
top level window such as a frame or dialog.

Anyway, the small snippet just shows that this can be done, but the actual
question you replied to you left unanswered. It is about the trailing underscores.

Now would KillBlueMonsterA vs KillBlueMonsterB vs KillBlueMonster_ be any more
descriptive than OnLeftDClick_ which describes the event happening itself and
the code that extends it by 1, in this case the call order.
I could see the underscore as an extension thereof.
...so maybe OnLeftDClick_Extension_Description_ might be better...
but why the trailing underscores?

Maybe others that do this normally can chime in as to
why they for example would put the underscores on the end,
if it isn't a common convention. Maybe it is like I see it, as an extextion of some
special meaning or reason therof, but isn't always obvious as most like the name
not only desciptive, but short also.