trailing underscores naming convention_

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Fri May 9 00:24:00 EDT 2014

On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 9:28 PM, Metallicow <metaliobovinus at gmail.com> wrote:
> I seem to be comfortable with all the information out around the net dealing
> with python naming conventions. Occasionally I have to remind myself on some
> of this stuff. The PEP8 does a good job for most of it, but I am having a bit
> of trouble finding some more detailed information on the trailing half of
> the underscores convention.
>
> The PEP8 says that one_ underscore is basically for helping fix
> python keyword names.
> OK. fair enough on that point.
>
> But what is the standards for everything else... purely coders choice?...
> ...or other...
> It would be nice if fellow pythoneers chimed in on the one or two trailing
> underscores convention and how the use it in their code.

I'm not aware of any convention for trailing underscores other than
the one described in PEP8.

> Ok so the situation is I have made myself a subclass of AuiManager.
> In AuiManager there is a method named OnLeftDClick.
> In my subclass I am not wanting to override(or hence copy the code into mine)
> to get my same named method to work as normally with event.Skip().
>
> What I am wanting to do is just add extra functionality to the
> event(it doesn't matter if the event comes before or after) without
> stomping on(overriding) the AuiManager method.

If you use a different name in the subclass then whatever code calls
the method will continue to call the base class version instead of
your subclassed version.  Is there a reason you don't just use super()
to chain the call to the base method?

    def OnLeftDClick(self, event):
        event.Skip()
        super(MyClassName, self).OnLeftDClick(event)