The “does Python have variables?” debate

Ben Finney ben at benfinney.id.au
Thu May 8 15:14:35 EDT 2014

Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> writes:

> Ben Finney <ben at benfinney.id.au>:
>
> > Who does that? I haven't seen anyone raising this topic with a
> > beginner in a hostile manner (“flogging”? why the hyperbole?), and
> > it's certainly not characteristic of how the topic is raised here.
>
> Flogging, spanking, admonishing, whatever.

So, you just continue asserting that, without responding to a request to
back it up.

> > I don't know what your point is, but please don't prop up straw men to
> > make it.
>
> Does that count as admonishing, at least?

Yes, I admonished you.

> Point being, shunning the term "variable" is counterproductive. Python
> variables are nothing special and calling them "variables" doesn't
> mislead anybody.

Okay, that's your point. You haven't backed it up, so I'll ignore it for now.

--
 \     “If you ever catch on fire, try to avoid seeing yourself in the |
  `\        mirror, because I bet that's what REALLY throws you into a |