Real-world use of concurrent.futures

Andrew McLean lists at andros.org.uk
Thu May 8 14:55:52 EDT 2014

I have a problem that would benefit from a multithreaded implementation
and having trouble understanding how to approach it using
concurrent.futures.

The details don't really matter, but it will probably help to be
explicit. I have a large CSV file that contains a lot of fields, amongst
them one containing email addresses. I want to write a program that
validates the email addresses by checking that the domain names have a
valid MX record. The output will be a copy of the file with any invalid
email addresses removed. Because of latency in the DNS lookup this could
benefit from multithreading.

I have written similar code in the past using explicit threads
communicating via queues. For this example, I could have a thread that
read the file using csv.DictReader, putting dicts containing records
from the input file into a (finite length) queue. Then I would have a
number of worker threads reading the queue, performing the validation
and putting validated results in a second queue. A final thread would
read from the second queue writing the results to the output file.

So far so good. However, I thought this would be an opportunity to
explore concurrent.futures and to see whether it offered any benefits
over the more explicit approach discussed above. The problem I am having
is that all the discussions I can find of the use of concurrent.futures
show use with toy problems involving just a few tasks. The url
downloader in the documentation is typical, it proceeds as follows:

1. Get an instance of concurrent.futuresThreadPoolExecutor
2. Submit a few tasks to the executer
3. Iterate over the results using concurrent.futures.as_completed

That's fine, but I suspect that isn't a helpful pattern if I have a very
large number of tasks. In my case I could run out of memory if I tried
submitting all of the tasks to the executor before processing any of the
results.

I'm guessing what I want to do is, submit tasks in batches of perhaps a
few hundred, iterate over the results until most are complete, then
submit some more tasks and so on. I'm struggling to see how to do this
elegantly without a lot of messy code just there to do "bookkeeping".
This can't be an uncommon scenario. Am I missing something, or is this
just not a job suitable for futures?

Regards,

Andrew