Re: The “does Python have variables?” debate

Jerry Hill malaclypse2 at gmail.com
Wed May 7 11:48:15 EDT 2014

On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 2:18 AM, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:
> Ned Batchelder <ned at nedbatchelder.com>:
>
>> Why is "variable" sacrosanct and can only be used to describe C
>> semantics, but we're OK reusing class, int, and function?
>
> The Python language specification calls them variables; the terminology
> discussion should end there.

Personally, I found the idea that a python variable is a name + value
pairing to be useful when learning the language, especially when I was
struggling with the calling semantics (that is, the differences
between call-by-value, call-by-reference, and call-by-object).  I
think it's rather silly for someone to insist that python doesn't have
variables.  On the other hand, I think it can be useful to point out
that python variable aren't like C variables, and that thinking of
python variables as having two parts -- names and values -- really can
help people who are struggling to learn the language.  I know it
certainly helped me.

--
Jerry