data: protocol

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Wed May 7 06:42:24 EDT 2014

I have an outstanding request for ReportLab to allow images to be opened using
the data: scheme. That used to be supported in python 2.7 using urllib, but in
python 3.3 urllib2 --> urllib and at least the default urlopener doesn't support
data:

Is there a way to use the residual legacy of the old urllib code that's now in
urllib.URLopener to open unusual schemes? I know it can be used directly eg

urllib.request.URLopener().open('data:.........')

but that seems to leave the splitting & testing logic up to me when it logically
belongs in some central place ie urllib.request.urlopen.
--
Robin Becker