Joining centos 6.5 member Domain Controller to an existing Windows Domain

Jerry Hill malaclypse2 at gmail.com
Tue May 6 16:27:42 EDT 2014

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 11:18 AM, Joshua Knights
<christcadet99 at yahoo.com.dmarc.invalid> wrote:

> Here is my Issue and I think it may be a python path bug?

It's not a bug in Python.  It looks to me like a configuration problem.

I'm going to assume you have a good reason for bypassing your OS's
package management system.  In general, this is a bad idea, but since
this isn't a linux administration list, I'll leave it at that.

> Then I downloaded Samba with the following command:
> git clone git://git.samba.org/samba.git samba-master
> Then I installed the additional openldap-devel Library
> then I did the ./configure --enable-debug --enable-selftest
> then initiated the make command

So you configured it, and built it, but did not install it, right?
You didn't do a make install or make altinstall?  Installing would
presumably have put the files in the right place for them to be picked
up by python.  Since you just built samba without installing it, it
looks like you have to point python to the right place.

> When I do a find / - name samba.netcmd.main
>
> It pulls up: NOTHING!!

Right, that's not surprising.  samba.netcmd.main is a python package,
not a module, so it won't be named samba.netcmd.main.py or whatever
you were thinking.

> If I pull up : find / -name netcmd
>
> I get:
>
> /root/samba-master/python/samba/netcmd
> /root/samba-master/bin/python/samba/netcmd
> /root/samba-master/bin/default/python/samba/netcmd
>
> In my research somebody said: to export the PYTHONPATH and to change it to the correct path of the netcmd command.

You'll want to add the directory up to the "/python" bit.  I'm not
sure which one of those three is really the right location for the
module you're looking for, but I would start by trying
'/root/samba-master/bin/python'.  From there, python should be able to
find the samba package.

> if I wanted to fix it permanently then to update my bash.rc file.
>
> In other words Tell my samba tool where to look, and this look is only temporary till I close my terminal. Placing the command in the bash.rc file will run this script every time I open my terminal. Well, I tried all 3 and none of them worked.

This is not a good way to leave your system.  It's okay if you're just
testing the new samba build, but you really ought to install the
software, not just run it out of the build directory.  Best of all
would be to install a version that's actually been packaged up for
your OS using the CentOS packaging system.

--
Jerry