Add "Received:" header to email msg in correct position?

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Tue May 6 10:19:28 EDT 2014

On 2014-05-06, Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 2014-05-06, alister <alister.nospam.ware at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 05 May 2014 19:51:15 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
>>
>>> I'm working on a Python app that receives an e-mail message via SMTP,
>>> does some trivial processing on it, and forwards it to another SMTP
>>> server.
>>>
>>> I'd like to do the polite thing and add a "Received:" header, but I
>>> can't figure out how to get Python's email module to add it in the
>>> correct place.  It always ends up at the "bottom" of the headers below
>>> From: To: etc.  It's supposed to go at the above all the Received:
>>> headers that where there when I received it.
>>
>> Is this required or just being polite?
>
> I couldn't find it in an RFC.

I was looking in the message format RFCs, and as has already been
pointed out, it's in the SMTP spec (RFC2821).  Since there _is_ an RFC
that specifically states you MUST prepend a header line to a message,
this seems to be a hole in the email module...

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! If I am elected no one
                                  at               will ever have to do their