Pass variable by reference

Satish Muthali satish.muthali at gmail.com
Mon May 5 20:39:44 EDT 2014

Hello experts,

I have a burning question on how to pass variable by reference in Python. I understand that  the data type has to be mutable.

For example, here’s the issue I am running in to:

I am trying to extract the PostgreSQL DB version for example:

pgVer = [s.split() for s in os.popen("psql --version").read().splitlines()]
    print pgVer[0]
    for i, var in enumerate(pgVer[0]):
	    if i == len(pgVer[0]) - 1:
		    pgversion = var

I would now like to pass ‘pgversion’ (where the value of pgversion is 9.3.4) by reference, for example:

I want to nuke /var/lib/postgresql/9.3.4/main/data , however programatically I want it to be as:  /var/lib/postgresql/<value of pgversion>/main/data

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Satish