Glade on Windows using Python

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Sun May 4 19:27:05 EDT 2014

On 05/04/2014 01:51 PM, mbg1708 at planetmail.com wrote:
> So...it turns out that Glade support for Python 2.7 is pretty difficult.
> I ended up rewriting the whole thing using Tkinter and ttk.Treeview.
> It would have been good to reuse the Glade XML...less code, better looking, etc. etc.

Both Gtk2 and Gtk3 are available for Windows.  Glade XML is typically
used on Gtk2 by the GtkBuilder class
(http://www.pygtk.org/pygtk2reference/class-gtkbuilder.html).  Gtk3 uses
http://python-gtk-3-tutorial.readthedocs.org/en/latest/builder.html.
The code you had in your OP was for Gtk3.

There are up-to-date packages of Gtk3 bindings for Python on Windows here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pygobjectwin32/files/

I didn't see your original post a couple of weeks ago, which is too bad.

I'm not sure Gtk is better-looking on Windows.  It's always been the
ugly step-child there compared to Linux.

Tkinter has a Windows native look and feel, so there's no reason to not
use Tkinter if it suits your project:
https://docs.python.org/3/library/tkinter.ttk.html