Unicode 7

Ben Finney ben at benfinney.id.au
Fri May 2 17:07:28 EDT 2014

Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> writes:

> That reminds me: " " [U+00A0 NON-BREAKING SPACE] is often used between
> numbers and units, for example.

The non-breaking space (“ ” U+00A0) is frequently used in text to keep
conceptually inseparable text such as “100 km” from automatic word
breaks <URL:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-breaking_space>.

Because of established, conflicting conventions for separating groups of
digits (“1,234.00” in many countries; “1.234,00” in many others)
<URL:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thousands_separator#Digit_grouping>,
the “ ” U+2009 THIN SPACE <URL:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin_Space>
is recommended for separating digit groups (e.g. “1 234 567 m”)
<URL:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SI_units#General_rules>.

--
 \           “We spend the first twelve months of our children's lives |
  `\          teaching them to walk and talk and the next twelve years |