Unicode 7

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu May 1 23:01:56 EDT 2014

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 12:29 PM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here is an instance of someone who would like a certain optimization to be
> dis-able-able
>
> https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2014-February/667169.html
>
> To the best of my knowledge its nothing to do with unicode or with jmf.

It doesn't, and it has only to do with testing. I've had similar
issues at times; for instance, trying to benchmark one language or
language construct against another often means fighting against an
optimizer. (How, for instance, do you figure out what loop overhead
is, when an empty loop is completely optimized out?) This is nothing
whatsoever to do with Unicode, nor to do with the optimization that
Python and Pike (and maybe other languages) do with the storage of
Unicode strings.

ChrisA