Unicode 7

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Thu May 1 22:02:48 EDT 2014

On Friday, May 2, 2014 5:03:21 AM UTC+5:30, MRAB wrote:
> > I will not comment on the Unix-assumption part, but I think you go wrong
> > with this:  "Unicode is a Headache". The major headache is that unicode
> > and its very few encodings are not universally used. The headache is all
> > the non-unicode legacy encodings still being used. So you better title
> > this section 'Non-Unicode is a Headache'.
> [snip]
> I think he's right when he says "Unicode is a headache", but only
> because it's being used to handle languages which are, themselves, a
> "headache": left-to-right versus right-to-left, sometimes on the same
> line; diacritics, possibly several on a glyph; etc.

Yes, the headaches go a little further back than Unicode.
There is a certain large old book...
In which is described the building of a 'tower that reached up to heaven'...

At which point 'it was decided'¶ to do something to prevent that.

And our headaches started.

I dont know how one causally connects the 'headaches' but Ive seen
- mojibake
- unicode 'number-boxes' (what are these called?)
- Worst of all what we *dont* see -- how many others dont see what we see?

I never knew of any of this in the good ol days of ASCII

¶ Passive voice is often the best choice in the interests of political correctness

It would be a pleasant surprise if everyone sees a pilcrow at start of line above