Off-topic circumnavigating the earth in a mile or less [was Re: Significant digits in a float?]

Vlastimil Brom vlastimil.brom at gmail.com
Thu May 1 03:49:43 EDT 2014

> On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 9:46 AM, Ian Kelly <ian.g.kelly at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It also works if your starting point is (precisely) the north pole.  I
>> believe that's the canonical answer to the riddle, since there are no
>> bears in Antarctica.
>
> Yeah but that's way too obvious! Anyway, it's rather hard to navigate
> due south from the north pole. Which way do you go? How do you know
> you're still going due south? Will the rocket even light in that
> climate?
>
> Important questions must be answered!
>
> ChrisA
> --

Well, after having been following the discussion, I couldn't resist
but post the relevant sketch from the famous Czech play  "The Conquest
of the North Pole by the Czech Karel Němec on 5th April 1909" by Jara
Cimrman [as "dicovered" and presented by Z. Sverak and L. Smoljak]
(translated by Craig Cravens)

http://jaracimrman.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/north_pole.pdf  (pp. 38-39)

============

Teacher: And now, friends, I’d like to draw your attention to a
certain geographical
peculiarity. If I stand next to the chief and step off in any
direction, I always go south.
Pharmacist: No!
Teacher: Yes, yes! Watch! (stands next to the chief and steps off.)
I’m going south.
(He returns and sets off in another direction.) And now I’m going
south again. And now
—once again south.
Pharmacist: That’s unbelievable!
Teacher: Hold on, you haven’t seen anything yet. Richard, stand here
with your back to
the chief. And now both of you, step forward.
(Schwarzenegger and the chief, with their backs to each other, step forward.)
Did you see that? They’re both going south!
Pharmacist: That’s really something else!
Teacher: And I’ve saved the best for last. Now, you’ll really see
something. Vojtěch,
mark the Pole with an X and step aside.
(Vojtěch obeys. The teacher sets off toward the mark.)
Watch this. I’m going north (he crosses the mark and continues
walking) and now I’m
going south! And now back: north … and now south.
Pharmacist: That’s impossible!
Teacher: Try it yourself.
Pharmacist: This I’ve got to see. (He walks towards the pole and
the<m> moment he
crosses it his face lights up with joy.) Wow! Friends, this was worth
it! On the verge of
death from hypothermia, from hunger, and from exhaustion, but it was worth it!