Examples of modern GUI python programms

Metallicow metaliobovinus at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 23:47:46 EDT 2014

On Monday, March 31, 2014 3:16:16 PM UTC-5, Sturla Molden wrote:

> According to their web page, PySide is only LGPL. Qt is LGPL or commercial.

"""
Licensing

PySide has been published as a response to the lack of suitably licensed Qt bindings for Python. PySide is licensed under the LGPL version 2.1 license, allowing both Free/Open source software and proprietary software development.
"""

Read the legal definition of/and proprietary, then go consult a lawyer. That is caught as an exception/addition to the LGPL in the wording.
I don't think anyone pressing the issue would get very far at all, unless there is a real good reason your own non-library source should be disclosed. Are there any legal precedents yet?.... If you didn't pay for it, or don't have a class action suit, or is of national security, then good luck.

So, yes, PySide is acceptable also in certain situations you don't have to disclose own source. May need to consult with Qt personally on the matter if a Qt license is actually needed for your particular project, but in plain legal wording of the LGPL/Qts/PySides agreements, no, it is not but there are a few rules that have been layed out you will need to follow if you don't have a Qt license.

Anywho, here is some infos detailing a bit more commonly asked situations on their forums regarding PySide.
http://qt-project.org/wiki/About-PySide
http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/34770

If you do have a Qt license, then the rules change a bit more in your favor at levels of what you can ignore, that others can't legally.
A couple of our team members has a license to cover the stuff we do, so I don't worry about it much. The majority of it is open anyway, but pity those who expect everything for free. *I can hear it now* boo hoo pdf format is finally "free and open" after all these years of adobe's money*grubbin*making. geez...
Lesson is: Any software/hardware dev should be familiar with the licensing terms of the toolkits they intend to use. There are always hoops to jump through for "Free-Types". Everyone needs to eat also, because as of this writing "Money" has yet to be abolished in this needy world of ours. And also it seems to fuel development in certain cases also.

I often find the writings on the GPL pages about stuff related similarly to sound like a Richard being a crybaby at times, even tho I do respect him for his views he tries to emboss on everyone to create a "not-exactly-freeier-but-just-more-open" overall software society. If everyone had a flat wallet, then this idea would work out nicely.
If I ever write a printer driver, I will make sure I license it GPL and personally send him a copy to inspect, believe me. Maybe when the next raspberry pi revision comes out he'll send 1000's of them out for free also to his supporters and developers also, but I somehow doubt it.
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/proprietary.html

Anyhow, this should hopefully be enough infos for the OP to get a general idea of what toolkit would be needed for whatever project is in mind.
As I say ",If not satisfied, contact sales. They are always reassuring to sound the least."