OFF TOPIC Spanish in the USA [was Re: Explanation of this Python language feature?]

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Mar 31 18:06:37 EDT 2014

On 3/31/2014 4:47 PM, Rhodri James wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Mar 2014 06:23:46 +0100, Mark H Harris
> <harrismh777 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The main point of the link is the status on English as an official
>> language.  28 out of 50 states have legislated English as the official
>> language; meaning, that you either speak and write English, or you're
>> going to have a really tough time participating in culture, business,
>> government, and recreation.

Perhaps the link was
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_the_United_States#Official_language_status

> That few?  I'm surprised.  Presumably the other states don't have any
> contention for the status of "official language"?

The modern 'English primary' movement, with its first state success in
1981, was a reaction to the 'Spanish co-equal' movement of the 1970s.
Without state-by-state data on the push for legislation, I see no clear
pattern in the list of which states have such a law.

--
Terry Jan Reedy