Code style query: multiple assignments in if/elif tree

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Mon Mar 31 11:40:42 EDT 2014

Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>:

> Call this a code review request, if you like. I'm wondering how you'd
> go about coding something like this.

As a simple layout question, I'd do it like this:

if mode == "Brake2":
    # Already got the brakes fully on
    distance_to_full_braking_power = 0.0
    speed_full_brake = curspeed
elif mode == "Brake1":
    # The brakes went on one second ago, they're nearly full
    distance_to_full_braking_power = curspeed - 0.2125
    speed_full_brake = curspeed - 0.425
else:
    # Brakes aren't on.
    distance_to_full_braking_power = (curspeed - 0.1) + (curspeed - 0.4125)
    speed_full_brake = curspeed - 0.625

# If we hit the brakes now (or already have hit them), we'll go another
# d meters and be going at s m/s before reaching full braking power.