meta language to define forms

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 08:11:41 EDT 2014

On Friday, March 28, 2014 2:34:07 PM UTC+5:30, alister wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Mar 2014 14:57:11 +1100, Chris Angelico wrote:

> > wrote:
> >> [BTW I consider the windows registry cleaner than the linux /etc for
> >> the same reason]
> > And if I felt like trolling, I'd point out that there are a lot more
> > search engine hits for "windows registry cleaner" than "linux etc
> > cleaner". :)
> > ChrisA

> Not to mention that the windows registry is a Single Point of failure.
> if it gets corrupt (by 1 minor program crashing whilst writing to it)the
> chances are your OS is broken to the point of being unfixable.
> at least with the Linux system (& the multiple config files of windows 3
> & earlier) it can normaly be fixed with a simple text editor.

This sure used to be true in the windows 95-98 era.
I dont believe its been this way for more than a decade.
XP onwards there's enough redundancy+fallback+checkpointing so that we rarely
really hear of this any more [But Im not a windows guy :-)]

On the other hand in linux I find that when something is upgraded and needs to
upgrade *its own* config files in /etc it can often have trouble.

I trace this to the fact that what is needed is mostly a simple key-value store
holding some config parameters.  What is stored is usually a general script.
As a result http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/leastPower.html kicks in.