Python language hack for C-style programmers [DO NOT USE!] :-)

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Fri Mar 28 04:26:05 EDT 2014

Chris Angelico wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 6:46 PM, Peter Otten <__peter__ at web.de> wrote:
>> Why would you guess if you can check? Just fire up the interactive
>> interpreter^W^W compiler:
>
> Partly because there's a difference between valid C++ and valid input
> to the G++ compiler :) Knowing that it works with g++ doesn't tell me
> that it's actually valid, and I don't feel like digging into the specs
> to find out where you're guaranteed to be allowed to do that. (I could
> probably test it with one of the language spec options, but then it
> still depends on the exact version of GCC and the exact spec chosen.)

I don't have the spec handy, only an old copy of "The C++ Programming
Language" which has

"""
To avoid accidental misuse of a variable, it is usually a good idea to
introduce the variable into the smallest scope possible [and] to delay the
definition of a local variable until one can give it an initial value.
[...] One of the most elegant applications of these two principles is to
declare a variable in a condition. Consider:

if (double d = prim(true)) {
    left /= d;
    break;
}