Explanation of this Python language feature? [x for x in x for x in x] (to flatten a nested list)

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 23:20:34 EDT 2014

On Friday, March 28, 2014 8:36:26 AM UTC+5:30, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 1:46 PM, Rustom Mody wrote:
> >> Moore’s Law isn’t a mythical beast that magically materialized in 1965
> >> and threatens to unpredictably vanish at any moment. In fact, it’s
> >> part of a broader ancient mechanism that has no intention of
> >> stopping. This mechanism, which I call cost gravity, pulls down the
> >> price of technology by about half every two years.
> > Add to that the fact that cost=money ultimately comes from money=effort
> > eg currencies like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ithaca_Hours
> > (maybe even dolour → dollar though thats not the official etymology)
> > and its clear that there is a ripple effect of technology breaking down
> > old castles. Pleasant to the* layman, unpleasant to those professionals whose
> > fiefdoms are threatened.

> The price of technology to the end user, yes. Anyone can go out and
> buy a computer that's powerful enough to do everything the typical
> person needs, and it's cheap enough to fit inside the typical person's
> budget. (Compare early IBM estimates of maybe half a dozen computer
> sales worldwide.) That has nothing to do with whether or not that
> person can create that computer. Same goes for software.

This is the continuum fallacy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuum_fallacy

The Aunt Tillies (or your soprano)dont need to master networking as good as you
do but they need to be better at it than they are.

To continue the example of music: I said that using something like
musescore a layman learns faster with a little guidance.  And heres
the catch -- most musicians who can guide in the traditional way are
frightened of technology.