YADTR (Yet Another DateTime Rant)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Mar 26 16:06:17 EDT 2014

Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> writes:

> We're still just papering-over the basic problem: the entire
> time/calendar system use by "western civilization" is a mess. I don't
> know a lot about other systems in use, but from what I have seen they
> were all pretty much just as bad. We should fix the basic problem
> first, then I bet the Python library problems will sort themselves out
> pretty easily.

I see from my calendar that 1 April is still several days away. So I
wonder how serious you are: we should forestall dealing with the reality
of calendars, until the world fixes our difficulties for us?

> Of course to simplify matters, we're going to have to stop worrying so
> much about seasons and whether it's light or dark outside...

Not too serious, I suppose.

So what *do* you recommend we do? It's easy to point at the real world
and say it's messy and distasteful to deal with, but that's a big part
of the job we take on as programmers.

--
 \            “… Nature … is seen to do all things Herself and through |
  `\         herself of own accord, rid of all gods.” —Titus Lucretius |