Delayed evaluation of expressions [was Re: Time we switched to unicode?]

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 13:32:04 EDT 2014

On Wednesday, March 26, 2014 9:35:53 PM UTC+5:30, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Mar 2014 00:30:21 -0400, Terry Reedy wrote:

> >> There is no expression there. There is a function.
> >> You cannot pass an expression to a function in Python,
> > One passes an unquoted expression in code by quoting it with either
> > lambda, paired quote marks (Lisp used a single '),

> Passing *strings* and *functions* is not the same as having compiler
> support for delayed evaluation. At best its a second-class work-around.
> Contrast:

Once the language has lambda, most else can be fashioned
See the classic papers
lambda the ultimate imperative
lambda the ultimate declarative
lambda the ultimate goto
at here http://library.readscheme.org/page1.html

> [...]

> things like that, so you can perform symbolic operations on the
> expression. That's not what I mean.

> What I mean is that you, the programmer, writes down an ordinary Python
> expression, using ordinary expression syntax, and the compiler treats it
> as a value in and of itself, rather than evaluating it to find out what
> value it has. In Python this will probably be some sort of object, but
> that's not the important part. The important part is that it is a *value*.

> (Compare to languages where functions are not first-class values. You
> cannot pass a function to another function, or stick them in a list, or
> create them on the fly. You can only call them, evaluating them
> immediately.)

> In Algol60, the compiler used thunks, which are a type of closure; in
> CPython, list comps use a hidden function object; the ternary if compiles
> byte code for a test and jump.

> In case you haven't read the article on Jensen's Device above, in Algol60
> you can write a Sum function that behaves as a mathematician would
> expect. For example, to sum the entries of an array V for indexes 1
> through 100, a mathematician might write it something like this:

>     10
>     ∑ V[i]
>     i=1

> which we can rearrange to function-call syntax like this:

>     Sum(i, 1, 100, V[i])

> In Algol60, this function call would:

> - pass the name "i" (not a string!) as the first argument;
> - pass 1 as the second argument;
> - pass 100 as the third argument;
> - pass the expression "V[i]" (not a string!) as the fourth argument

> and then *inside* the function Sum the expressions "i" and "V[i]" can be
> evaluated or assigned to as needed. Using Python syntax rather than Algol
> syntax:

> def Sum(name, lower, upper, expression):
>     total = 0
>     for name in range(lower, upper+1):
>         total += expression
>     return total

> This doesn't work in Python! Python lacks call-by-name semantics, so the
> function call would:

> - evaluate the expression i, and pass that value as the first argument;
> - pass 1 as the second argument;
> - pass 100 as the third argument;
> - evaluate V[i] and pass that value as the fourth argument

> and then inside the function Sum "name" refers to the local variable
> name, not the caller's variable i. Likewise "expression" refers to a
> local variable, and not the caller's expression V[i].

> Python has no general way of doing this. There are a few ad-hoc special
> cases, like list comps, the ternary if operator, etc. which are hard-
> coded in the compiler to delay execution of expressions. For the rest,
> you have a choice:

> - give up on delayed evaluation, and redesign your API; or

> - manually manage the delayed evaluation yourself, using
>   some combination of functions, eval or exec.

Heres Jensen device in python
First your pseudo algol version with python frills like range removed

def sumjensen(i,lower,upper,exp):
# i and exp by name
# i get and set, exp only get required
    tot = 0
    i = lower
    while i <= upper:
        tot += exp
        i = i + 1
    return tot

Now actual python

def sumjensen(i_get, i_set,lower,upper,exp):
    tot = 0
    i_set(lower)
    while i_get() <= upper:
        tot += exp_get()
        i_set(i_get() + 1)
    return tot

i=0
a=[3,4,5]
i_get = lambda : i
def i_set(val):
   global i
   i = val

exp_get = lambda : a[i_get()]

call as sumjensen(i_get, i_set, lower, upper, exp_get)

[Note that because of lambda's restriction to being only an expression
I have to make it a def because of need for  global]