unicode as valid naming symbols

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be
Wed Mar 26 04:52:25 EDT 2014

On 26-03-14 03:56, MRAB wrote:
> On 2014-03-25 22:47, Ethan Furman wrote:

>>>     Thanks much!  I'll note that for improvements. Any unicode
>>> symbol (that is not a number) should be allowed as an
>>> identifier.
>>
>> No, it shouldn't.  Doing so would mean we could not use √ as the
>> square root operator in the future.
>>
> Or as a root operator, e.g. 3 √ x (the cube root of x).

Personally I would think such an operator is too limited to include in a programming language.
This kind of notation is only used with a constant to indicate what kind of root is taken and
only with positive integers. Something like the equivallent of the following I have never seen.

  t = 2.5
  x = 8.2
  y = t √ x

Of course we don't have to follow mathematical convention with python. However allowing any
unicode symbol as an identifier doesn't prohibit from using √ as an operator. We do have
"in" and "is" as operators now, even if they would otherwise be acceptable identifiers.
So I wonder, would you consider to introduce log as an operator. 2 log x seems an interesting
operation for a programmer.

--
Antoon Pardon