Time we switched to unicode? (was Explanation of this Python language feature?)

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 22:39:01 EDT 2014

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 1:10 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
>> dicts are more fundamental than sets.
>
> One can easily implement floats from complex numbers by making the .imag
> part always 0. It would be much harder to implement complex numbers from
> floats, for the same reasons that it would be hard to implements dicts from
> sets. But it must be possible. Would you say that complex numbers are,
> because of this implementation quirk, more fundamental than floats?

I would say that this proves that dicts and complexes are more
general, rather than more fundamental. The fundamentals of boolean
logic are AND/OR/NOT, but it's common to build everything out of the
more general NAND gates because they can do everything. (I may be
sketchy on details there, I'm a software guy not a hardware designer.)

ChrisA