unicode as valid naming symbols

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Tue Mar 25 18:16:09 EDT 2014

On 25Mar2014 21:48, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:
> Mark H Harris <harrismh777 at gmail.com>:
> >    Thanks much!  I'll note that for improvements. Any unicode symbol
> > (that is not a number) should be allowed as an identifier.
>
> I don't know if that's a good idea, but that's how it is in lisp/scheme.

I think it is a terrible idea. Doing that preemptively prevents
allowing them for any other purpose in the future, ever.

Identifiers are easy if you stick to the corresponding Unicode class.

Sucking in every other symbol prevents other uses later. Such as using the
square root symbol as a prefix operator. Etc.

Don't be too grabby with syntax; it leaves no room  later for better syntax.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>