[newbie] confusion concerning fetching an element in a 2d-array

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Tue Mar 25 15:58:10 EDT 2014

 Jean Dubois <jeandubois314 at gmail.com> Wrote in message:
> Op dinsdag 25 maart 2014 15:42:13 UTC+1 schreef Dave Angel:

>> If your instructor wanted you to copy examples,  he would have
>>  given you one.
> please Dave leave that belittling tone behind, there's no instructor
> whatsoever involved here.

It wasn't my intention to belittle you; I'm sorry. But we do get a
 lot of people here asking for homework help, and not saying
 that's what it is. And when it's homework we do better explaining
 than just writing the code.

In fact you only needed to add a line like
     data= infile.read ()
to Steven's original to get a complete working example.

> I constructed this example myself as I know very
> well I have to start with little pieces of code first to be able to master
> larger problems later. I just wanted to figure this example out first,
> and as I now learned from Peter's marvellous explanation there _is_ an
> elegant solution in Python to this kind of problem.
> So if you are irritated by newbie-questions in the future, just neglect
> them

Not irritated,  just temporarily misguided.

--
DaveA