Time we switched to unicode? (was Explanation of this Python language feature?)

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 02:45:11 EDT 2014

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 5:35 PM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:
> I dont think we are anywhere near making real suggestions for real changes
> which would need to talk of compatibility, portability, editor support
> and all such other good stuff.
>
> Just a bit of brainstorming to see how an alternative python would look like:
>
> Heres a quickly made list of symbols that may be nice to have support for
>
> ×
> ÷

Most of those look fine, but that's a fair bunch of characters you'd
need to type. And will you stop there? Would other symbols want to be
typable too? And if you have ellipsis (the character) would you also
support three consecutive U+002E to mean the same thing? (People
*will* type it that way, and would be extremely annoyed if it didn't
work.)

And will you turn Python into APL?

ChrisA