Time we switched to unicode? (was Explanation of this Python language feature?)

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 01:48:43 EDT 2014

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 4:34 PM, Mark H Harris <harrismh777 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Because the character selector is up on the gui (for me, far left) and the
> two strokes are {mouse click the Π } and {mouse click the insert}; rather
> than {p} {i} .  There is of course a brief time-lag because my right hand
> has to move the pointing device and my hand is off the keyboard momentarily
> --  that is not a problem though, on my track pad notebook.

I'd like to see millisecond timings for that; for most people, typing
is WAY quicker than seeking with the mouse, as you can type without
feedback but clicking requires that you see that the mouse is in the
right place before you hit the button. (I'm typing this, right now,
with my eyes on my MUD client on the screen 90° away  from this
computer. I'm reading the text that other people have sent to me while
writing this text. The human brain can handle that, but only so long
as I don't need my eyes to also be on the screen where I'm typing -
which means my fingers need a measure of autonomy.)

> PS Is it   Tuesday 04:35 pm there?  Its Tuesday way AM here; 00:35am

Yup. Welcome to timezones. I'm UTC +11 here, although we'll drop back
to +10 shortly as DST finishes (yay!). It's currently 0547 UTC, so
you're presumably five hours behind UTC, which would put you east
coast USA, most likely. (Especially since your mailer is putting the
dates as mm/dd/yy, which is an abomination peculiar to Americans.)

ChrisA