Time we switched to unicode? (was Explanation of this Python language feature?)

Mark H Harris harrismh777 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 23:59:57 EDT 2014

On 3/24/14 10:51 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> Supporting both may look tempting, but you effectively create two ways
> of spelling the exact same thing; it'd be like C's trigraphs. Do you
> know what ??= is,

This was a fit for me, back in the day IBM (system36 & system38). When
we started supporting the C compiler (ha!) and non of our 5250 terminals
could provide the C punctuation we take for granted today--- so we
invented tri-graphs for { and } and others. It was a hoot.

I personally think the answer is extended key maps triggered by meta
keys shift ctrl opt alt command |  which call up full alternate mappings
of Greek|Latin|Math|symbols &c which can be chosen by mouse|pointing
device.

The mac calls these keyboard viewer, and character viewer. In that way
the full unicode set can be available from a standard qwerty keyboard
without modifying the hardware right away.

marcus