Explanation of this Python language feature? [x for x in x for x in x] (to flatten a nested list)

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Mon Mar 24 18:43:11 EDT 2014

Mark H Harris <harrismh777 at gmail.com>:

>    Yes, its about closures, totally;  the most confusing aspect of
> lambda in python is not only the syntax but the idea of scope and
> closure (for that syntax).  Everyone is confused by this initially, not
> because its complicated, but because its confusing.  An example:

>> 	adders[n]=lambda a: a+n
>> 6
>
>    The expected value as perceived by "normal" people is 4.

1. No, I don't think that understanding is automatically natural.

2. It does not concern Python only. For example, what does this scheme
   expression yield?

        ((let ((n 3))
           (let ((f (lambda () n)))
             (set! n 7)
             f)))

   Answer: 7

3. It doesn't concern lambda only. For example, rewrite your loop like
   this:

   for n in range(4):
       def add(a):
           return a + n