Explanation of this Python language feature? [x for x in x for x in x] (to flatten a nested list)

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 00:39:55 EDT 2014

On Saturday, March 22, 2014 8:11:27 AM UTC+5:30, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 1:06 PM, Rustom Mody wrote:
> > Two: A comprehension variable is not bound but reassigned across the
> > comprehension. This problem remains in python3 and causes weird behavior when
> > lambdas are put in a comprehension
> > [5, 5, 5]

> To clarify, what you're saying here is that x in the first
> comprehension's closures should be bound to separate values for x,
> yes?

Yes

> I'm not sure how that ought to be done.

Thats an implementation question -- see below.

> Having closures that can
> reference and modify each other's variables is important.

Yes

> def func_pair():
>     x = 0
>     def inc():
>         nonlocal x; x+=1
>         return x
>     def dec():
>         nonlocal x; x-=1
>         return x
>     return inc, dec

> fooup, foodn = func_pair()
> barup, bardn = func_pair()
> (1, 2, 3, 2)
> (1, 2, 1, 0)

> Those functions are fundamentally linked. Very useful with callbacks.
> A nice alternative to doing everything with bound methods.

Yes

> So if that's not going to be broken, how is this fundamentally different?

> def func_loop():
>     for x in 1,2,3:
>         yield (lambda: x)

Thats using a for-loop
A 'for' in a comprehension carries a different intention, the matching names
being merely coincidental.

This 'pun' causes cognitive dissonance in all these questions, including
my gaffe above

> one, two, three = func_loop()
> one(), one(), two(), two(), three(), three()

> This one does NOT work the way the names imply, and I can see that
> you'd like to fix it. But I can't pinpoint a significant difference
> between them. How do you distinguish?

Using closures for carrying state is a different question

As for comprehensions, the appropriate *intention* would be like this:

Given

fl = [lambda y : x+y for x in [1,2,3]]

It means:

def rec(l):
   if not l: return []
   else:
     x,ll = l[0],l[1:]
     return [lambda y: x + y] + rec(ll)

followed by
fl = rec([1,2,3])

Naturally a reasonable *implementation* would carry this *intention* more
efficiently with standard techniques like
1. Using list extend/append methods
2. Using lambda y, x=x: x+y

Inside an implementation this is fine
Forcing such tricks as kosher on a programmer is not (IMHO)

[But then I find Lisp and much of basic haskell natural and most of C++ not,
so my views are likely prejudiced :-)