Python MSI not installing, log file showing name of a Viatnemese communist revolutionary

Mark H Harris harrismh777 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 23:58:37 EDT 2014

On 3/21/14 5:44 PM, Mark Lawrence wrote:
> I'm pleased to see that you have answers. In return would you either use
> the mailing list https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-list or
> read and action this https://wiki.python.org/moin/GoogleGroupsPython to
> prevent us seeing double line spacing and single line paragraphs, thanks.

I perceive that this is your singular pet peeve, or, you were elected by
the python community some time ago to police the line-end problem ?

I notice (since moving my stuff to Thunderbird two weeks back) the
double spacing you keep squawking about, but I don't find it the big
nuisance you're talking about; ok, so we have to scroll a bit further.

I am honestly convinced that this might even be a python problem.  More
likely than not, gg is written in python, and this is the goofy line-end
character problem we have to deal with when we read lines in python.

Why do we suck in the new-line character as though it were part of the
line?  This is asinine behavior.  The new-line is a "file" delimiter
character and NOT intended to be part of the line.

Thinking this through a bit I've noticed that a blank line comes back
with a '\n'  which differentiates it from file end which comes back
"without" the new-line.  So, it appears that python is using the
new-line character (or lack there-of) to have meaning which the new=line
in a unix file was never suppose to carry.

If python would just return EOF like every other language at file end,
and a test line without '\n' tacked to the end of it, this little snag
with gg would probably go away.  What say you?

Of course, that does not alleviate all of the rest of gg's short
comings!   <sigh>

marcus