Python MSI not installing, log file showing name of a Viatnemese communist revolutionary

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 18:25:03 EDT 2014

On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 9:05 AM, cool-RR <ram.rachum at gmail.com> wrote:
> I downloaded it, but the MSI won't install. It didn't work on both of my computers (Windows 7 64bit).
>
> What the hell. Was python.org hacked by communists?

First question: Where did you download from? What file did you get?

(First and a halfth question: When you say "won't install", exactly
what do you mean? Error message? Hard drive exploded in a fiery
inferno? Your boss tapped you on the shoulder and said "Kill that
process"?)

Secondly, do you have a tool for checking the MD5 hash of a file?
Compare the file you have against the official checksum:

https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-340/

I'm slightly surprised the python.org installers have MD5s and not
something more cryptographically secure; there are GPG signatures, but
it takes a bit more fiddling to check those.

Finally, take the simple approach: Re-download the file, straight from
python.org, and see if it happens again.

ChrisA