Python3 - temporarily change the file encoding

Helmut Jarausch jarausch at igpm.rwth-aachen.de
Fri Mar 21 13:48:49 EDT 2014

Hi,

my locale is en_US.iso88591

But now I'd like to process a restructuredtext file which is encoded in utf-8.

rst2html has

#!/usr/bin/python3.3

# $Id: rst2html.py 4564 2006-05-21 20:44:42Z wiemann $
# Author: David Goodger <goodger at python.org>
# Copyright: This module has been placed in the public domain.

"""
A minimal front end to the Docutils Publisher, producing HTML.
"""

try:
    import locale
    locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, '')
except:
    pass

from docutils.core import publish_cmdline, default_description

description = ('Generates (X)HTML documents from standalone reStructuredText '
               'sources.  ' + default_description)

publish_cmdline(writer_name='html', description=description)

Even if I comment out the part containing 'import locale' the utf-8 encoding of my
rst-file is not recognized.

How can I change this so that rst2html use utf-8 when reading and writing files.
Of course, I don't want to change the docutils package for that.

Many thanks for a hint,
Helmut