Question about Source Control

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 22:14:21 EDT 2014

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 12:33 PM, Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au> wrote:
> Regarding having Mercurial installed, that is very easy, and after
> you've gone (eg):
>
>   hg clone https://bitbucket.org/cameron_simpson/css my-copy-of-cameron's-css
>
> (or wherever the public repository is published), you can of course
> then walk away and work. You no longer need the public copy at all.
>
> With a DVCS the threshold is low and the advantages are high (hg
> or git; I'm an hg person myself).

Yes, it's not hard to get Mercurial. And it's not hard to get git. But
it is an extra barrier, and trying to tell people they need
this-that-and-the-other just to get your software is a pain.
Personally, I'm quite happy fetching from either git or hg, because
I'm at least broadly familiar with both (more with git), but if it's
something I'm *not* familiar with (cvs? Haven't used it in forever),
less happy.

ChrisA