running python 2 vs 3

Mark H Harris harrismh777 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 16:10:04 EDT 2014

On 3/20/14 2:53 PM, Alan Meyer wrote:
> #!/usr/bin/env python
>
> Only use the "python2" or "python3" versions if you really have a reason
> to do so.

It gets tricky for distribution (you need docs for your distros, imho)
because #!/usr/bin/env python  means different things on different
systems.

I actually have three major versions of python2 and 2 major versions of
python3 on my primary system at this point. On my machine python2.6 is
"python".  That is because that system shipped with 2.6 and many of the
subsystem stuff depends on python2.6 /

When I call python2 that means python2.7.6 /

When I call python3 that means python3.3.4 /

I can also call python2.7, which is 2.7.2 /

You get the idea.   There is no one set rule, because there are many
distros (gnu/linux) that use python at various versions, and they all us
different setups.  Really , you need an install script to snoop out the
configurables.

marcus