running python 2 vs 3

Mark H Harris harrismh777 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 12:11:28 EDT 2014

On 3/20/14 9:58 AM, notbob wrote:

> I've installed python 3.3 on my Slack box, which by default comes with
> python 2.7.  I know how to fire up the different IDLE environments,
> but how do I differentiate between the scripts?

hi notbob, the two (or more) IDLE environments run very nicely
side-by-side. If you access your scripts from the same directory (I do
not) there really is no problem. The reason is that the .pyc files
created for python2.x are only used by python2.  The .pyc files for
python3.x are kept (by a naming convention) in __pycache__ , so there
really is no problem.  Having said that, the only problem is that your
script for python3 might not run in python2 (for various reasons) but
the problem is not that the scripts are contained in the same folder.

I keep my python2 scripts in one folder ~/Documents/Python2/ and my
python3 scripts in another one ~/Documents/Python3/

I add the two folders in the python paths browser (using site-packages)
so that when I start IDLE for python2 it pulls its scripts from
~/Documents/Python2/  and when I start IDLE for python3 it pulls its
scripts from  ~/Documents/Python3/

There are *many* ways to organize this. Often I have to maintain two
scripts (packages) one for each version. Although, I try to make my
scripts run in both environments.  Often I have IDLE(2) ane IDLE(3)
running and testing at the same time on the same box. This works very well.

marcus