unable to import rlcompleter readline

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Wed Mar 19 05:30:02 EDT 2014

On 19/03/2014 08:55, muru kessan wrote:
> hi guys,
> i want the python interactive shell to be auto complete and i found that
> by adding the following lines in PYTHONSTARTUP file it is possible
>
> import rlcompleter, readline
> readline.parse_and_bind('tab: complete')
>
> but i get the following error in git bash shell
> Note: i run windows8 as Operating System
>
> Python 2.7 (r27:82525, Jul  4 2010, 07:43:08) [MSC v.1500 64 bit
> (AMD64)] on win
> 32
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "C:\muru work 05-nov-2013\python\start.py", line 6, in <module>
>     import rlcompleter, readline
> ImportError: No module named readline

readline is commonly provided on *nix systems, but not on Windows. You
can install a plug-compatible version here:

  https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyreadline/2.0

(ie pip install pyreadline)

or just use IPython which project maintains it:

  http://ipython.org/

NB installing pyreadline will override the way in which Python interacts
with the standard Windows console's up/down/history recall features.
(Assuming it hasn't changed since I last used it a few years ago).

TJG