Question about Source Control

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Tue Mar 18 22:12:35 EDT 2014

On 2014-03-18 21:38, Terry Reedy wrote:
> At least with hg, one should best test the code in the working
> directory *before* committing to the local repository.

I don't know if this is a hg-vs-git way of thinking, but I tend to
frequently commit things on a private development branch regardless
of brokenness, but once I get it working, I flatten & clean up those
changes ("rebase" in git terms, which I believe has been adopted as a
standardly-available-but-not-enabled-by-default module in hg) into
logical units of change-sets that I then test individually before
applying them to my more public-facing branch.  This produces clean
history that makes it easy for others to see what's going on.

-tkc