Controlling buffer alignment in file.read()

Haralanov, Mitko mitko.haralanov at intel.com
Tue Mar 18 16:23:19 EDT 2014

Hi all,

I am using Python to read from a binary device file which requires that all read sizes are in 8byte multiples and the user's buffer is 8byte aligned.

I am currently using a file object and the file.read() method. However, the issue is that the file.read() method allocates the buffer passed to C function under the covers and, therefore, the alignment is arbitrary.

Is there a way that I can get file.read() to use an 8byte aligned buffer?

Thanks,
- Mitko