Question about Source Control

Frank Millman frank at chagford.com
Mon Mar 17 09:06:33 EDT 2014

Hi all

I know I *should* be using a Source Control Management system, but at
present I am not. I tried to set up Mercurial a couple of years ago, but I
think I set it up wrongly, as I got myself confused and found it more of a
hindrance than a help. Now I am ready to try again, but I want to avoid my
earlier mistakes.

I understand the concept, and I understand the importance, so I do not need
reminding of those. What I would like help with is the basic setup. I could
subscribe to the Mercurial mailing list and ask there, but I am hoping for a
kick-start here. Here is my setup.

All my source code resides on an old Linux server, which I switch on in the
morning and switch off at night, but otherwise hardly ever look at. It uses
'samba' to allow sharing with Windows, and 'nfs' to allow sharing with other
Linux machines.

I need to test my program on Windows and on Linux, so I run it from both at
various times. On Windows I have a 'mapped drive' pointing to the source
code. On Linux I use a third machine, running a recent Fedora, using nfs to
mount a directory pointing to the source code. Obviously each machine has
its own version of Python installed.

I do my development on the Windows machine. I use TextPad, a simple text
editor, which works fine for my purposes. It uses the mapped drive to point
to the source code.

So where should I install the SCM, and how should I set it up so that I can
access the latest version from any machine?

Any hints will be appreciated.

Frank Millman