unittest weirdness

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Wed Mar 12 19:47:47 EDT 2014

On Wed, 12 Mar 2014 08:32:29 -0700, Ethan Furman wrote:

>> Some systems have an oom (Out Of Memory) process killer, which nukes
>> (semi-random) process when the system exhausts memory.  Is it possible
>> this is happening?  If so, you should see some log message in one of
>> your system logs.
>
> That would explain why my editor windows were being killed.

Try opening a second console tab and running top in it. It will show the
amount of memory being used. Then run the tests in the first, jump back
to top, and watch to see if memory use goes through the roof:

top -Mm -d 0.5

will sort by memory use, display memory in more sensible human-readable
units instead of bytes, and update the display every 0.5 second. You can
then hit the "i" key to toggle display of idle processes and only show
those that are actually doing something (which presumably will include
Python running the tests).

This at least will allow you to see whether or not memory is the concern.

--
Steven D'Aprano
http://import-that.dreamwidth.org/