which async framework?

Sturla Molden sturla.molden at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 13:44:24 EDT 2014

Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> Yes, why use a library when you can rewrite it all yourself?

This assumes something equivalent to the library will have to be written.
But if it can be replaced with something very minimalistic it is just
bloat. I would also like to respond that the select module and pywin32 are
libraries. So what we are talking about here is not using a library versus
issuing low-level system calls, but using a cross-platform library instead
of having separate modules with system calls for Linux, *BSD/Apple and
Windows.

Another thing is that co-routines and "yield from" statements just makes it
hard to follow the logic of the program. I still have to convince myself
that a library for transforming epoll function calls into co-routines is
actually useful. If it just turns otherwise readable code into something
most Python programmers cannot read it is better left out of the project.

Sturla