which async framework?

Giampaolo Rodola' g.rodola at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 12:18:33 EDT 2014

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 11:17 AM, Sturla Molden <sturla.molden at gmail.com>wrote:

> Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I see python now has a plethora of async frameworks and I need to try
> > and pick one to use from:
> >
> > - asyncio/tulip
> > - tornado
> > - twisted
>
> Looking at Tornado's examples on the web I find this:
>
>     tornado.ioloop.IOLoop.instance().start()
>
> This single line of code says more than thousand words. But it boils down
> to:
>
> (1)  This was written by some Java guys.
> (2)  Someone used Python to write Java.
>
> And that's all I need to know about Tornado.

Tornado is actually very Pythonic and has a very well written and modern
code base.  I think "tornado.ioloop.IOLoop.instance().start()" is the way
it is in order to let you use multiple IO loops in different threads but I
can't think of other places where such an idiom is used.
What one might find a little Java-esque at a first glance is Twisted,
because of zope.interface and the camelCase notation, but definitively not
Tornado.

--
Giampaolo - http://grodola.blogspot.com