Balanced trees

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 20:31:26 EST 2014

On Sat, Mar 8, 2014 at 1:21 PM, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:
> If I had to choose between a hash table and AVL (or RB) tree in the
> standard library, it would definitely have to be the latter. It is more
> generally usable, has fewer corner cases and probably has an equal
> performance even in hash tables' sweet spot.

Actually, in the performance comparison I mentioned previously, I
compared Python dict's to a bunch of different balanced trees and one
unbalanced tree. The dictionary was much faster, though granted, it
was the only one in C.

That URL again:
http://stromberg.dnsalias.org/~strombrg/python-tree-and-heap-comparison/2014-01/