gdb unable to read python frame information

Wesley nispray at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 10:01:52 EST 2014

So, let me clarify here, in order to try, I get a clean machine.

Centos 6.5 64bit.
Now , I try this:
1. install gdb 7.7 from source , with configure option --with-python

2. install python 2.6.6 from source, with configure option --with-pydebug

3. run a python script

4. from command line, gdb python -p <pid> to attach the running script

5. within gdb, issue python, import libpython, end
  no errors
6. py-bt outputs nothing, py-locals says Unable to locate python frame
here is the snippet:
[root at localhost Python-2.6.6]# gdb python 52315
GNU gdb (GDB) 7.7
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu".
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/>.
For help, type "help".
Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word"...
Reading symbols from python...done.
Attaching to program: /home/nipen/test/Python-2.6.6/python, process 52315
Reading symbols from /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
0x00000030a98e15c3 in ?? ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x00000030a98e15c3 in ?? ()
#1  0x00007f4cf68d1219 in ?? ()
#2  0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()
(gdb) py-bt
Undefined command: "py-bt".  Try "help".
(gdb) python
>import libpython
>end
(gdb) py-bt