Python programming

John Ladasky john_ladasky at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 7 13:03:35 EST 2014

On Thursday, February 13, 2014 12:30:39 AM UTC-8, Larry.... at gmail.com wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 10:56 PM, William Ray Wing <w... at mac.com> wrote:
>
> > OK, and how many of you remember the original version of the tongue-in-cheek essay "Real Programmers Don't Use Pascal" from the back page of Datamation?
>
> I do remember it.
>
> http://www.webcitation.org/659yh1oSh

As do I, though I couldn't have been more than about 16 years old when it came out.  I just re-read it, and this comment jumped out at me:

"Neither OS/370 nor FORTRAN show any signs of dying out, despite all the efforts of Pascal programmers the world over."

Well, OS/370, RIP.

As for FORTRAN?  This week, I actually downloaded an application which required a FORTRAN compiler.  This is the only FORTRAN application I've ever needed.  It's not old code, the first revision came out about 10 years ago.  More than once, I have queried Google with the phrase "Why isn't FORTRAN dead yet?"  For some reason, it lives on.  I can't say that I understand why.